Friday, May 8, 2009

Entry for May 08, 2009/ Nice Surprise

What a little surprise for me and the kitties this morning.

I woke at six as usual and went straight to the back door to let the fur ones out for their morning romp ( in my enclosed yard of course) and I took myself off to the john. When I came out I realized that the cats were not outside they were all huddled by the door or as I found out when I went into the front of the house , high on counters looking strangely out of the window. When I joined them to my surprise I found a whole herd of havelina in our front yard. All of about the size of the large one in this picture. No giant daddies, just seemed like about 10 - 12 teen agaers. All roaming the front yard looking for goodies. Now I don't think any of my kitties except maybe Thomas and Rosie have ever seen anything like these guys because when our beloved Jakie was here he use to chase them away. He loved nothing better than barking his head off at havelinas, especially those big old daddy guys. Now a big old daddy guy has hugh tusks that could tear my Jakie to bits but as long as there was a fence in between it didn't matter. Jake was the killer of lenas ( as I call them).

Everything has calmed down now. When the lenas heard me in the kitchen ooohing and ahhhing then waddled away down the hill looking for more food and water. If you don't know anything about these strange creatures you will be surprised to know they are not wild pigs they are pecuries ( oh the spelling) giant rodents. They eat greens, roots, things like that. They are very fond of tomatoes, as people who have tried to grow them around here have found out the hard way. Unless you have a fence around your garden it is a goner. The bad part about them is they are very strong and very protective of their families. A big daddy Havelina can kill and dog or even tear up a person when they have babes in tow. My next door doggie, Jasper, found that out the hard way when one day he decided to chase a mom and babe. He is ok now but we thought we were going to lose him. A little beagle is no match for a pissed off lena mommy.

So this is how my morning started how is yours doing?

Have a good one.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment