Saturday, December 2, 2006

Art Sunday

For a little fine art this Sunday I have chosen on of my favorite American artistJames Abbott McNeill Whistler.

He is mostly remembered for his painting that everyone calls "Whistler's Mother" which in reality is entitled "Arrangement in Grey and Black..Protrait of the Painter's Mother".

He was a very prolific painter  as well as a decorative artist. As can be seen in the room panels he created.

The link to the Web Museum will give you a great opportunity to see a great many of his works but today I would like to feature my favorite work of his. Another one of my favorites from the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C.

          A SYMPHONY IN WHITE NO. 1, THE WHITE GIRL

 

Image/

I find the most wonderful thing about this painting is how well he has done the white . The brush strokes and the many colors that go into making up the color of the dress and drapery are magnificiant. To see the painting in person is mind blowing as it is large and quite over powering.

Be sure to go to the Web Museum site and see the rest of his work. It is just as wonderful as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment