Thursday, May 17, 2007

Entry for May 17, 2007

Well while I slow soak the roses in the front yard I thought I would contemplate the concept of water restrictions. The state of Arizona is basically nothing but desert and we have been in the throes of a drought for the past 12 years, ( my friends in Australia can appreciate this) so this doesn't leave much water. Now the big huge massive metropolis of Phoenix and all its out lying towns and suburbs don't seem to be very acquainted with the concept of no water. They don't want those tourists to think that they have a problem or those developers either so the city government just pretends they have all the water they want and they do not impose any water restrictions. So people have pools everywhere, evaporating water into the air, fountains, golf courses to water, people water their yards when ever they want to, washing cars, cleaning their driveways with water, you would think they were back east. I do believe ( in their favor) that the government has asked them to use their good judgment in the use of water, yeah right these people all come from places they have water, what do they know. Any way to get back to the subject in my little town of Cottonwood up in the high desert of Arizona our water company has decided it is time to take matters into their own hands and has come up with water shortage plans, and we are now on water restrictions. Which is fine by me and I am very proud of our water company actually. The biggest issue right now is the watering of the yards, plants etc. Since I am a odd number house I get to water on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. So today being Thursday I am busy out side helping my small lawn to grown and the few flowers I have. Was going to plant vegetables this year but when I heard about this I really didn't think it was a smart idea. Last year I let everything in my yard die. Didn't water anything except the roses, but I couldn't take it. I like a bit of grass and I really like some nice flowers and I wanted to make a nice little garden for Mr. Khay to be buried in. So before 9 in the morning and after 5 in the eventing I am out there watering like mad. In the house I am trying to conserve as much as possible, no running water washing dishes or teeth, wash as many clothes as possible in one load, don't flush too often, oh boy you could go on for days. I sure hope this will all help because now the forest fires are starting and we are going to need all the water we can get to fight them. ( another thing my friends in Australia can appreciate) it is going to be bad this year and I must say I am a wee bit scared. I live right on the edge of a National forest no trees but there sure is a lot of brush and scrub trees. The thought of seeing fire out there is not pleasant.

Well those are my thoughts for the day, got to get back to the hose in the roses bushes so it doesn't over flow.

Hope who ever reads this has a great day and up coming weekend.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment