Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Entry for February 14, 2007/ Poetry Wednesday

There Will Come Soft Rains
bySara Teasdale

(War Time)


There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white,

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.
The following poem is taken from her Purlizer Prize winning book "Love Songs"


Spring Night

The park is filled with night and fog,

The veils are drawn about the world,

The drowsy lights along the paths

Are dim and pearled.

Gold and gleaming the empty streets,

Gold and gleaming the misty lake,

The mirrored lights like sunken swords,

Glimmer and shake.

Oh, is it not enough to be Here with this beauty over me?

My throat should ache with praise, and I

should kneel in joy beneath the sky.

Oh, beauty are you not enough?

Why am I crying after love,

With youth, a singing voice and eyes

To take earth's wonder with surprise?

Why have I put off my pride,

Why am I unsatisfied,

I for whom the pensive night

Binds her cloudy hair with light,

I for whom all beauty burns

Like incense in a million urns?

Oh, beauty, are you not enough?

Why amI crying after love?

Hope you have enjoyed this presentation.

Sussan

No comments:

Post a Comment