Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Autumn Wreath






Entry for October 30, 2007/Autumn Wreath

Instead of the usual fireworks from the universe that I display on Tuesday I will be displaying a little of my own handy work.
The wreath you see above on my front door is something I have made every year since I lived on the ranch when I first moved to Arizona. All of the ingredients grow wild on there. It use to be an orchard. Wish I had a picture. Some other time.
Comprised of rose hips, pyracantha(?) and pomegranates, all picked by me on the ranch. For those not familiar with rose hips, they are orange Berry looking things that come after this particular type of rose is finished blooming, right at the bottom of the bloom, hence rose hips tea. The rose bush grows in wild long vines, and I cut long ones with the beautiful fall colored rose hips on them and wind them around a woven wood base then I tuck in lose ones all over to fill it out.
The pyracnatha, beautiful red berries on big bushes, I cut and hang in the middle, the color is so fantastic.
Then the fresh cut pomegranates go tuck in the wood base for a wee bit more color.
All very autumn and colorful, when December comes it is replace by my winter wreath, but this one is not lost, it goes on the back of the door on the inside, gets added some mistletoe and pine cones and becomes my solstice wreath.
Enjoy
Susan

3 comments:

  1. How very beautiful !

    Jon's Mom (who we lost last November) had a tradition of always sending her kids real evergreen wreaths for Christmas.

    There's nothing more inviting than a lovely wreath on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very lovely & also has one more great thing to recommend it: FREE. Can't improve much on that! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely wreath, I agree with Steph, it's so inviting .
    I didn't know of your place here, I love Blogger and wish more of our 360 friends would move here too.
    Have a lovely Sunday, I loved your post on Hopper.

    ReplyDelete