Thursday, November 15, 2007

Entry for November 16, 2007/ Reicpe Friday

This is a great recipe for a mushroom roast that I got from Trine a couple of years ago for all my veggie friends out there who don't eat Turkey for Thanksgiving. I made this last year and it was so good I ate the whole in two days.

Ingredients ( the measurements are in grams and milliliters) most packages have grams next to the oz weight. Also milliliters are on most measuring cups. This was from a Danish cook book, that is why the measurements are different.

550 g mushrooms ( I use portabello and regular)

2oo g nuts ( I used pecans)

2 stalks of celery

1 apple ( I used gala)

3 Tbsp breadcrumbs

100 ml cream

3 eggs

salt and pepper

1 tsp allspice

1/2 tsp ginger

6 sheets puff pastry ( frozen)

Method"

Clean and chop the mushrooms coarsely and saute them in a little butter. Grind the nuts in a blender, food processor. Mix the mushrooms and the nuts and add the slice celery and the apple diced. Stir in breadcrumbs, cream and eggs. Season with salt, pepper , allspice and ginger.

Defrost the puff pastry if required and place them next to each other Roll them out. Spread the mushroom mix over the middle of the pastry and wrap the pastry around. Decorate with strips of pastry (glue egg). Brush the whole package with egg and bake for 45 minutes at 390 F.

It is also possible to prepare this dish without the puff pastry. Then you shape the mushroom mix bread shape and bake it in the oven for 40 minutes at 390 F. This is what I did last year but I am going to try the pastry this time.

Serve with all the usual goodies. I am going to try and make a mushroom gravy with out drippings. Just try cooking up all the usual spices in mushroom broth and then mix in flour or corn starch. Hope it works.

Hope who ever tries this really enjoys it, I know I did.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment