Friday, January 11, 2008

Good Morning

Just a few comments on what has been going on in the world these past few days.

Now the NH primary made me think of what the real election will look like. Clinton vs McCain. Well we will see. It sure did knock poor Bill Richardson out of the running. He sure was trying to make his points during the debate(?) and he did have a few good ones. He has been in the government for a while. I can't wait to see what happens to John Edwards. I like his middle class ideas. Especially when it comes to tax cuts for the middle class and more taxes for the rich, but I am sure he will be gone soon too.

Missed the Republican debate last night but I really don't care much about them, except to say that I think McCain is the only one with half a brain out there who would be worth voting for as a Republican. Enough of that.

and what is this business about not letting independents vote. I live in one of those states where I first registered as an independent until I found out I couldn't vote in the primaries. Some type of discrimination. How can these states get away with this. I don't understand. I guess I will have to do some research on this one. If you have any ideas please speak up.

John Kerry supporting Obama, I'm not sure that is such a good thing. The guy lost, who wants a loser supporting him.

Just came upon an article in today's paper, headline, "Senators Urge Bush to allow guns in national parks"  What is going on in this world? This is 47 senator, mostly republican but some democrats, saying the current regulations" infringe on the rights of law abiding gun owners who wish to transport and carry firearms on or across these lands." Some body please tell me why these people would have to carry guns into our national parks and wild life reserves? Help....I am losing my mind.

Ok that is enough for now. I think the last comment just really ruined my day.

Hope yours is better

Susan

4 comments:

  1. *HUGS*, susan. it will be interesting to see where the caucuses all wind up, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note about independents and primaries. The primaries are for a political party and its members to pick their candidate for the general election. So republican cant vote in democratic primaries and vise versa. That why candidates must appeal to their base and then be able to reach a broader appeal for the county.
    Some states do allow for open primaries, but it really defeats the purpose of a party primary if everyone can vote in it.
    I know it sounds a bit discriminatory but it really isnt. It for the individual parties to find their candidate that they will put forth in the general election. This is is the first in awhile that both major parties are running primaries.
    I too switched from an independent to a democrat so that I could take part in the primary process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The issue about independents had escaped my attention but as annadigitalis points out, the point of a primary is to appeal to their party. The problem is that in order to win the general election, it is probably going to require that some of those independent hear something they like it. So basically if they dont let independents vote in the primary, in some cases they may be cutting off their nose to spite their face in some instances. The reason being, the independents might have voted WITH the party in the general election if one person got nominated as opposed to another one that might very well be nominated without the indepeendent's vote. Oh well.

    Doesnt surprise me at all that some senators are wanting to have guns crossing parks...it is what many citizens seem to believe and in some cases it is hard to tell who is the puppet of who...some senators catering to the lowest common denomination, and some citizens believeing every piece of garbage coming out of a politians mouth.

    Oooop, apparently I have "issues" with this topic...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its funny that yo mention Bloomberg, the pundits were discussing him tonight. I guess he is triffling with the idea of running as an independent. The prob I have with that is by entering the race late he bypasses all the battering that goes on in primaries. Its good to see how candidates react to all that and with 24 hr news cycles you usually get all their dirty laundry out in the open.
    I dont really know what he would have to offer anyway, how would he sell himself? An independent candidate is usually offering something radically different from the other 2 I dont see how he is going to be that something different.

    ReplyDelete