Saturday, November 14, 2009

Art Sunday of the Past.

Since the 17th of this month will be my fourth anniversary of blogging, first with 360 and now here on Multiply, but mostly with all my same friends. I thought I would bring out my very first Art Sunday piece which I just came across recently. I was always rather proud of this because of the little story I wrote to go with it. For those of you  who have never seen this or maybe just don't remember. I give you Salvador Dali.

Art Sunday from the past.

I have spents hours standing in front of this painting tying to figure out he did it.

This is a little story about my fasination with this painting. When I was in my early twenties I lived and worked in and around Washington D.C. The Smithsonian Institute was one of my favorite places to spend my days off. If you add up all the time I have spent in those buildings it would probably come out in weeks in each place.Most of my time was spent in The National Gallery of Art which is also on the Mall. I would wonder around the halls just in heaven staring at all the paintings and sculpture. So many periods of time. So much wonderful impressionism, my favorite Van Gogh "Protrait of the Artist" then one day I walked into a room I never really had noticed before and hanging before me on it's own wall was Dali's " Last Supper". I swear I haven't been the same since. My head swam, I couldn't believe what was before my eyes. It was as if it wasn't real, how could an artist have painted such translucence. You could see right thru practically everything on the canvas, and the colors, like water running through them. Just magnificant...Well as I was standing there I noticed a few other people standing there that were staring just as hard as I was, just standing and staring, and they weren't leaving like the other people strolling through. I had found the obsessed and as I stood there I became one of them. I came back quite often to stare and wonder "how did he do that?" and everytime I would see the same people. Weird.

During this period of time, a year maybe, they started to renovate the Gallery and move things around. Well someone got really smart and gave The Last Supper it's own room and it's own couch, right in front of the painting, as long as the painting, and there we all sat, staring, staring at that incredible painting.

I have many fond memories of the wonderful days I spent there at the National Gallery, but the best part was always being with my silent friends, staring.

Recently I went back and the first thing I went looking for was, guess what, and I was so disappointed to find they had relagated my beautiful painting to a stairwell, I must admit it is a very busy, fancy staircase, but no one really notices it and you certainly can't stop, stand and stare. I tried. It couldn't work. I guess I will never know how he did it. It was always such a pleasure trying to figure out how.

Hope you have enjoyed my little story and if you are ever in Washington D.C. try and make it over to the National Gallery and take a walk up the stairs and give a good hard stare at Salvador Dali's Sacrament of the Last Supper

Happy Sunday

10 comments:

  1. oh!
    you know the way into my heart

    no wonder we are friends

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put this into google and saved it for later. I am always interested in Art of any form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His paintings are so vivid, almost like the walt disney colors. He did like the woman body I see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your story of discovery, his art is beautiful and this one in particular /:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the national galary there when my hubby was at Walter Reed I would spend hours great place to call home

    ReplyDelete