Saturday, November 28, 2009

Art Sunday/Edward Hopper

Edward Hopper

Edward Hopper (July 22, 1882 – May 15, 1967) was a prominent American realist painter and printmaker. While most popularly known for his oil paintings, he was equally proficient as a watercolorist and printmaker in etching. In both his urban and rural scenes, his spare and finely calculated renderings reflected his personal vision of modern American life.[1]

 Of course the best thing about Eward Hopper to me is that wonderful use of dark, light and shadow. His work is so dream like but at the same time so real.

I haven't but in his most famous, Nighthawks, because I think everyone knows it, but if not let me know and I will be happy to post it.

Enjoy, susan

hopper.morning-sun hopper.early-sunday

 

hopper.rooms-sea

Follow this link back to Nemo's Art Sunday tour. http://nemo4sun.multiply.com/journal/item/209

 

8 comments:

  1. he is one of my favorites

    i think he influenced my choice for today also

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great use of light and shadow I especially like the last one

    ReplyDelete
  3. he truly seems to understand how the light and the dark really need one another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice use of color and shadow /:-)

    ReplyDelete