Friday, July 17, 2009

Garden update

Well there are just photos every where.

Store bought marigolds....Can't seem to fit much more writing in next to the photos so we shall just see how this all comes out.

Well I know it doesn't seem like much but to me it's a big deal. I don't often do what I call a garden in this dry state, but this year I actually planted flowers from seed and they are finally starting to bloom (see photos). I got most of this stuff in the ground late in the season around the end of May but since we have a long growing season here hopefully they will all bloom before the real cold sets in around November. They will really start to grow when the real hot weather is gone. We are starting to get some monsoon action which helps.

So what you will be looking at are my sunflowers (tall things) which have yet to bloom but I have hopes. They suffered from some caterpillars for awhile but we have finally gotten rid of them. Then we have the marigolds I planted from seeds, the beautiful burgundy with orange, backed by holly hocks which haven't bloomed yet but they do need to grow for a while. The green stuff next to these guys is wild mint which is just great in the old glass of ice tea. The little flowers, white ones are ox alis (sp) that I am growing from a cutting I got. They are a great perennial, clover looking leaves with beautiful pink and white flowers. Then we move on to more marigolds and some other orange thing that I bought at Home Depot. As you can tell I love marigolds and the color orange. ( Marigolds are also good at keeping bugs away.

I tried to get a shot of my garden horny toad but he wouldn't come out. He takes good care of the flowers and eats all the bugs. He live under the holly hocks and marigolds. Hopefully when I water tomorrow he will come out for a photo op.

Well hope you enjoy what there is of my garden

 

12 comments:

  1. oh, wow! i've never seen any garden from your neck of the woods before! thanks for the pics, everything looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love marigolds too..they self seed all over the place hee but are easily moved to where I want them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sort of "wild" look you have going.Marigolds are wonderful flowers;they make me smile with their happy colors.

    I hope you can get a pic of your little horned toad. I think they're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally couldn't live without a garden of some sort, even if it's only pots. I'd happily wander around in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. any touch of color and growth is always welcomed in any part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Especially here in the southwest. I just let things grow where they may and I love it. We have water rationing here so when I can I go water crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just a wee thing but I love it. Need growing things here in this dry climate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just say Mr. Horny Toad when I was out watering but I didn't have the camera. I am going to try and urge him to come out tomorrow.
    My garden is definitely wild, I encourage anything that will grow out here to please do so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am working on the reseeding now. Hope it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love marigolds too ... and love growing things from seeds too ... an achievement in a climate like yours and ours! Very nice ...

    ReplyDelete